We talked over some strawberry daiquiris about how she got started, the joy of spontaneity, the importance of great photography, the joys of building a network of makers (community over competition), top tips for your first online and in-person craft markets, the brilliant Lucy Worsley, how Teresa likes to spend her free time, what brings her the most joy, and more.
2 parts rum
1 part simple syrup
1 part lime juice
5 large strawberries
5 ice cubes
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into a glass and garnish with a strawberry.
1 part sugar
1 part water
Place water and sugar in a pan on the stove. Heat until the sugar dissolves. Let cool, then refrigerate. Add to cocktails as desired.
Keeps for ages in the fridge. I usually use one cup of water plus one cup of sugar and keep a bottle in the back of the fridge to aid spontaneous cocktail mixing.
- Teresa’s top tips for your first online and in-person craft markets
- The benefits of collaboration over competition
- The joy of the spontaneity afforded by running your own business
Connect with Teresa:
Things we mentioned in this episode:
This is episode 11 of my Cocktails & Chat series, a community-building project for makers and artisans to share the highs and lows of business and making and make it a bit less lonely.
- 1:24 Introducing Teresa
- 3:26 What we’re drinking tonight
- 3:48 How Teresa got started and grew her handmade business
- 6:17 Teresa’s intro music
- 7:10 Teresa’s journey into fun, cheerful products
- 9:11 Teresa’s favourite underrated tool
- 10:15 What other kinds of making does Teresa do?
- 13:32 A common myth about handmade goods – a discussion about how they aren’t cheap and shouldn’t be
- 16:16 Have you always wanted to run your own business?
- 19:02 Teresa’s joys and challenges in running her handmade business
- 22:28 The importance of photography in your handmade business and some things Teresa’s learned about it
- 24:53 The benefits of collaboration over competition
- 29:13 Teresa’s experience of Folksy
- 31:43 Teresa’s top tips for your first online and in-person markets
- 37:10 Teresa’s tutorials for Love Crafts
- 40:25 Products that worked unexpectedly well and unexpectedly poorly
- 43:57 Teresa’s latest water adventures
- 46:15 The challenges of becoming more visible when you set up your business
- 48:37 The fantastic Lucy Worsley
- 50:07 What brings you joy?
- 50:56 How do you know when a piece is finished?