If you know nothing or very little about aromatherapy, this is the episode for you! Caroline and I geeked out about aromatherapy, how it works, some of the science behind it, CBD, the wondrousness of plants, our shared joy of connecting through story, natural skin care, some of her top tips of scents and favourite blends, and so much more.
Caroline is a Perfumer and Aromatherapist. Seeker and formulator of scents. Grounded in the art and science of natural botanical ingredients, Caroline cleanly and consciously formulates custom personal care products as the founder of Peripherie Botanicals. She is dedicated to empowering others in a shift to conscious, aromatherapeutic beauty that connects the mind, body, and soul. She is also a researcher of olfaction, sensory technologist, writer, and creative design strategist having built a successful career in the fashion industry.
1 part vodka
1 part limoncello
1 scoop lemon sorbet
1 splash prosecco
Combine all ingredients and mix. Pour into a glass and garnish with lemon.
- What are essential oils and how do they work?
- Caroline shares her top tips for scents to help combat overwhelm and stress
- A very brief introduction to CBD for the complete beginner
- For her doctoral research, Caroline made a robot with a brain-controlled interface to create a live symphony of different smells based on your thoughts!
Connect with Caroline:
Resources mentioned in this episode:
This is episode 10 of my Cocktails & Chat series, a community-building project for makers to share the highs and lows of business and making and make it a bit less lonely.
- 1:36 – Caroline’s journey from fashion to wearable technology to smell to aromatherapy and clean beauty
- 5:20 – Peripherie Botanicals offering of bespoke aromatherapy and skincare products and what the personalised customer journey looks like
- 9:32 – What we’re drinking tonight
- 10:40 – What are essential oils and how do they work?
- 17:33 – How to tell pure essential oils from adulterated ones, and some things to look for when choosing an essential oil.
- 20:15 – Some practical ideas for how to use essential oils
- 24:32 – Caroline’s top scents for common issues faced by entrepreneurs including overwhelm, tiredness, disrupted sleeping, depression, and ADHD
- 28:30 – Caroline’s favourite blends
- 30:56 – A very brief introduction to CBD for the complete beginner
- 37:55 – How Caroline made the jump from fashion to the science of smell and how important and underrated it is, including the robot she made
- 45:40 – Some of technology’s effects on well-being
- 50:20 – The smell of risk
- 53:49 – Caroline’s long-term desire to run her own business
- 56:07 – The things Caroline wishes she’d known before she started her business
- 58:34 – The importance of communities of mentors, makers, and fellow entrepreneurs
- 62:03 – What other kinds of making Caroline enjoys
- 63:28 – The joy of connecting through story
- 64:58 – How do you know when a work is finished?
- 66:30 – Caroline’s upcoming projects